What is it with long-distance relationships? Why are people scared of being in one? Do they work, a lot of people have the notion, this kind of relationship is not healthy and doesn’t work. Well, the truth of the matter is, no relationship works, without both partners putting in the work, be it long-distance or short-distance.
For you to be in a relationship of that kind, there has to be a level of trust, people with trust issues don’t survive in this kind of relationship.
Below are 7 tips on how to make long-distance relationships work.
- Communicate Regularly and Creatively: Now I ain’t saying, you got to talk to your partner 12 hours a day, cause it will get boring but just try as much as possible to update your partner about your life and everything going on.
- Do Things Together: This spices up your relationship despite how distant you both may be. Play an online game together, buy each other gifts, sing together on skype. All these bring you both closer.
- Be Honest With One Another: Do not hide anything from your partner, be transparent with one another, talk about your fear, insecurities, and whatsoever it may be.
- Prevent Excessive Interaction: A lot of people at this table, feel they need to always talk to their partner to keep the relationship going, but the truth of the matter is you are being too clingy, and you are not giving him/her a breathing space. It is advisable to talk to your lover regularly not excessively.
- Set Ground Rules: Now remember I said, for any relationship to work, you both need to put in the work, yeah I mean the effort. Set clear rules, so you both won’t do things that will alter the relationship.
- Go Dirty Sometimes: Let your conversation not be restricted to a particular aspect, you are in a relationship for crying out loud, talk dirty sometimes, sexual desire is very important in any relationship so keep your love burning by sending each other naughty texts and sometimes a picture or video will not harm.
- Know Your Boundaries: A lot of reasons why LDR doesn’t work is as a result of crossing boundaries. You know there are some certain things you shouldn’t do, but you do it just cause your partner isn’t there at the moment, that’s wrong, don’t give him a reason to doubt you. Be transparent and know your boundaries.
I could go on and on, the list is endless, but if you didn’t take anything, take this, long-distance relationships can be difficult but they are also amazing. If you can love, trust, respect one another from a distance, then you will be unstoppable once you are physically together