When it comes to events, there are always good and bad ones, but you will agree with me that this year has recorded more bad events than good ones.
Let me take you through all the events that happened in the year “2020”
Are you ready to go down this memory lane with me? If so, keep reading.
- January: 19 people were killed, while homes and other buildings were burnt down by unidentified gunmen in Tawari, Kogi State. The Gamboru Bombing took place in Borno State leaving 30 killed and 35 injured, which was supposedly set by Boko Haram. American Rapper, Cardi B, also got Nigerians talking, when she announced she was going to get her Nigerian Citizenship. The President of the United States, Donald Trump, expanded the travel ban to include Nigeria and 5 more countries.
- February: The month started with the ban on commercial motorcycles going into effect in Lagos State, followed by the return of the US $300 million that was seized from former president Sani Abacha’s laundered account. An Italian citizen who worked in Lagos was confirmed as the first case of COVID-19 in Nigeria by the Federal Ministry Of Health.
- March: “Lamido Sanusi” The Emir of Kano was dethroned as a result of neglect to lawful instructions. Abule-Ado Explosion, Lagos State that killed at least 15 people, and destroyed so many buildings also happened in this month.
- April: Fake news was spread about the circulation of coronavirus in Africa. Nigeria had tested over 7,000 people for COVID-19 and 873 cases and 28 deaths were reported.
- May: The case of a girl who was raped and killed in Benin State, Lagos trended in Nigeria, as everyone took to their Twitter account with the #JusticeforUwa.
- June: The Gubio Massacre in Borno State. The Monguno and Nganzia Massacres. The death of former Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi. The death of Nasir Ajana, Chief Judge of Kogi State.
- July: The successful rescue of a retired American Woman by a Police Intelligence Response Team after being held hostage for more than a year by a 34-year-old man in a hotel. 14 people killed in a mass shooting in Kogi State. The death of Helicopter Pilot, Tolulope Arotile.
- August– Musician, Yahaya Sharif- Aminu sentenced to death by hanging in Kano State for blasphemy against Muhammad.
- September: No major event to be recorded about.
- October: Lekki Massacre in the #End-SARS Protest. US Navy SEALs rescued a 27-year-old American hostage near the border with Niger.
- November: The Koshebe Massacre
- December: 800 boys were kidnapped by Bandits in Kastina State. Boko Haram militants kill 11 people and burnt a Church in Pemi, Borno State.
Whew! sigh This year has been a “YEAR” even writing this brought back many bad memories.
This year slowed a lot of things down, and some people couldn’t achieve some goals they set at the beginning of the year, but don’t be discouraged because you being alive till now is a big achievement, just so you know. We pray 2021 brings happiness, freedom, and peace back to our lives and the nation at large
Renowned novelist and filmmaker, Biyi Bandele, has died. According to sources, he passed a…