The Federal government says it has suspended the passports of more than 2,000 in-bound travelers for violating the COVID protocol.
Mukhtar Mohammed, national incident manager of the presidential steering committee (PSC), disclosed this at a media briefing in Abuja on Monday, September 27.
“Our efforts, in terms of restrictions, have shown that compliance with these measures is actually very low. However, our efforts on compliance at point of entry has been shown to be quite appreciable. Since the anticipation of the third wave, we have strengthened our surveillance system in the airports, seaports, as well as land borders.
We have identified certain countries that are very high risk, and provided some level of restriction for passengers arriving from these countries.
We have included the provision of quarantine for passengers who arrived from restricted countries, and people who evaded these protocols have been penalised by publishing their names, as well as by suspending their passports for one year.
Let me assure you that so far, we have published the list of over 2,000 people who evaded quarantine in our health facilities. And we have gone ahead to ensure that their passports are suspended. So, for every action, certainly, there are consequences.” he said