Home SPORTS FOOTBALL “I won’t give in to blackmail”- Ousmane Dembele responds to Barcelona
FOOTBALL - Sport - SPORTS - January 20, 2022

“I won’t give in to blackmail”- Ousmane Dembele responds to Barcelona

Dembele responds to rumours that he doesn't want to play for Barcelona
AD
bc

The winger affirms that all negotiations between him and the club is hinged on his agent.

Barcelona’s winger, Ousmane Dembele has clapped back at the club saying“he won’t give in to blackmail” after comments were made by the club director of football Mateu Alemany that he must leave before the transfer window closes.

Earlier on Thursday, Alemany said regarding Dembele’s contract that, “it seems obvious to us that the player does not want to continue at Barcelona.

“Therefore we hope that a transfer will take place before January 31.”

What was said by the director?

Asked to give reasons why negotiations may have broken down, Alemany sated that talks between the two parties had commenced since July 2021.

AD

“With Ousmane and his agent we began conversations around July so it’s been six months and a bit,” he said.

“We’ve talked, we’ve talked, we’ve talked. Barca has made different offers.

“We’ve tried to find a way for the player to continue with us but these offers have been systematically rejected by his agents.

“Today, January 20, eleven days before the last period of his contract ends, it seems obvious to us that the player does not want to continue at Barcelona and he is not committed to Barca’s future project.

“In this scenario, he and his agents have been informed that he must leave immediately because we want players committed to this project and therefore we hope that a transfer will take place before January 31.”

What did Dembele say?

The Frenchman has however responded to this statement from the director, reteirating that he only has the interest of the club at heart.

AD

“From today it finishes. From today I am going to reply honestly, without giving in to any kind of blackmail, ” he began.

“I forbid anyone from thinking I am not committed to the sporting project. I forbid anyone from attributing intentions to me that I have never had.”

In addition, the winger also appears to suggest that negotiations will continue, although he did not outrightly say if he wants to stay at Barcelona.

AD

“As you all know, there are negotiations,” he wrote.

“I leave my agent in charge of those, it’s his area. My area is the ball, simply to play football and share moments of happiness with my teammates and all the fans.”

What next for Dembele?

Dembele joined Barcelona from German club Borussia Dortmund, for a record fee of 140 million euros ($158.9 million) in 2017. However, his time at the club has been plagued with injuries which made him unable to rediscover his best form.

A number of clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea have shown interest in the 24-year old if he decides to leave Barcelona this summer.

Please support us, share this post:
AD

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Check Also

Transfer News: Erling Haaland set to join Manchester City on a five-year deal

The sought after striker is close to joining the English champions ahead of next season. N…