The father of the deceased blamed the church for allowing his son leave the church premises while the rain was falling heavily.

A four-year-old boy identified as Daniel Oyedokun, has sadly passed away after drowning in a canal while on his way home from church.

The unfortunate incident, which has thrown his family into mourning, occured on Sunday November 26, 2023, at Awori street, Dopemu, Agege Area of Lagos State.

According to reports, the young boy was swept away by the flood that accompanied the heavy rain which fell on that day.

Speaking to reporters about the demise of his son, the deceased’s father Olabode said his late son followed their neighbour to church as he was unable to go with him to their own church.


Olabode explained that he got to the house and met people weeping, and when he inquired what was the problem, they told him his son had drowned in a canal. He rushed to the spot and found out it was true.

He said: “The boy said he wanted to follow my neighbour to church and I allowed him. I was a little sick and I couldn’t take him to my own church.

“The sister of my neighbour led them to church and when they closed, although it was still raining, they left for home.

“Getting to the canal, my neighbour’s sister who took them, was crossing the children one after the other. So, she asked Daniel to stand at the edge of the canal, while she crossed the others but he accidentally stepped on the water and slipped into the canal.

“I got home and met a crowd. They said something had happened at the Awori Canal. I quickly rushed there and they told me that my son Daniel fell into the canal and had drowned.

I didn’t know what to do. I was told his body was found in a gutter so I had to go to the police to retrieve his body and we buried him.”

Olabode, however, blamed the church for allowing the children to leave the church premises while it was still raining heavily.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Benjamin Hundeyin confirmed the incident. He said that the police started a search for the boy as soon as they received the report, but unfortunately, he wasn’t found alive.

Leave a Reply