Nigerian youths gathered to remember those who lost their lives at the Lekki Toll-Gate massacre.

The Lagos State Police Command has explained why its members fired tear gas at protesters who gathered at the Lekki Toll-Gate on Thursday in memory of those who lost their lives at the #EndSARS protest on October 20, 2020.

It’s been two years since armed security forces opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll-Gate. In memory of those who loss their lives during the incident, a procession took place to commemorate the second anniversary of the shootings that happened two years ago.

While the procession took place on Thursday at the Lekki Plaza, members of the Nigerian Police fired tear gas at protesters, which left protesters scampering for safety.

Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of the Lagos Police Command, Benjamin Hundeyin has come out with an explanation on why the protesters were tear-gassed.


According to him, the procession had stopped and, consequently, traffic was building up at the toll-gate, which prompted the police to tear-gas the protesters in an attempt to pave way for free flow of traffic.

Hundeyin said: “Everything was going fine until they stopped and started laying the coffins on the ground and all. They were doing all these and traffic at the toll gate was building.”

“We needed to ensure that there was free flow of traffic in the area, because the agreement was that the procession would not stop, that was why we fired tear gas. After the crowd was dispersed, no single canister of tear gas was fired again.”

“Right now there is a free flow of traffic in the area and calm has been restored.”

Hundeyin also explained that some troublemakers had wanted to breach the peace, so the police had to intervene. He also said that those that were arrested had all been released.

“Some troublemakers wanted to breach the peace in the area so they were picked up and locked up in the van. But after everything had calmed down and the protesters dispersed they were all released. I can confirm that we have no one in our custody at the toll-gate now.”

Leave a Reply