The club and all parties involved believes it is best the striker recommences his career elsewhere.

Manchester United has announced that Mason Greenwood will be leaving the club following conclusions of their internal investigation into the allegations of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault against him.

However, it is still unclear what the nature of the 21-year-old striker’s departure would be.

The club released a statement today, Monday, August 21, 2023, in which they stated that it was appropriate for Greenwood to continue his career away from Old Trafford.

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United,” the statement said.

Advertisements

It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”

Recall that the Crown Prosecution Service discontinued its case against Greenwood in February, and since then, Manchester United had commenced their internal investigation into the matter.

The club’s statement read in full

Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.

Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”

Mason Greenwood also released a statement acknowledging that the decision made by the club was taken with him in consideration.

I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst.

“I was brought up to know that violence or abuse is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of. However, I fully accept I made mistakes, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.

“I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.

Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.

“I am enormously grateful to my family and all my loved ones for their support, and it is now for me to repay the trust those around me have shown. I intend to be a better footballer, but most importantly a good father, a better person, and to use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch.”

Leave a Reply