The minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige has negated statements made by ASUU President, Professor Ogunyemi on federal government part of the bargain to end the union’s ongoing strike.
This new outcome may mean that the ongoing ASUU strike will continue indefinitely.
Reports from The Nation say that on Tuesday, December 8, Chris Ngige faulted the statements made by Professor Ogunyemi, who had earlier said that the federal government’s delay in fulfilling their promises to the union is the cause of the continued strike.
READ ALSO: ASUU reveals when lectures will resume.
The president of the ASUU, Professor Ogunyemi said during an interview with The Nation that lectures will only resume when the federal government fulfills all promises made to the body.
READ ALSO: ASUU Chapters Disagree Over FG’s Offer to End Ongoing Strike.
However, Chris Ngige reacting to Professor Ogunyemi’s claims, said that the federal government did not promise to pay ASUU before lectures return to classes.
In his words:
“The truth of the matter is that a a gentleman’s agreement was reached at the last meeting in which ASUU agreed to call off the strike before December 9, 2020.”
Chris Ngige also said that the visitation panels for the Universities have been approved by the president, but the panel cannot perform it’s responsibilities untill the universities are reopened.
READ ALSO: “Why should there be another EndSars protest?”- Ondo Police Command Says As It Warns Protesters
I told you all to keep your fingers crossed. You never know what to expect from FG and ASUU. Feel free to leave your comments in the comment section below.